Exactly what is a Free Consultation?
Whether you’re visiting a lawyer website or passing a billboard along the highway, you’ve at some point noticed a lawyer offering a ‘Free Consultation’ to start your case. If you have the need for a lawyer, you’re probably curious as to exactly what a free consultation is, why you need it, and how it benefits your life. You’ve come to the right place for that information.
A free consultation is a special session with the lawyer provided as a courtesy to clients to help them better understands their case and the next steps to take. Lawyers offer 30 minute to one-hour consultations without obligation. Certain cases, such as automobile accidents, can be started on contingency basis, meaning no upfront cash is needed to start the case.
Why a Legal Consultation?
The consultation is a great opportunity for you to learn more about your case and get the insight of a legal expert on the matter, but that is far from the only benefit you enjoy with a consultation. Simply being a lawyer doesn’t make the individual the right representation for you. The consultation provides the chance to learn how you feel about the lawyer as you also discover information about your case.
Free consultations are available from almost all lawyers regardless of their specialization. So, if you need a lawyer to represent you in a criminal case, you can take advantage of a free consultation, just as someone can if they need a lawyer to help them handle a family law matter. If it is something that you are interested in, it is best to phone the law firm that you wish to work with directly to set up the best time for your needs as well as that of the firm.
Make the Most of Your Free Consultation
To get the most out of your consultation with the attorney, here are a few things that you should keep in mind:
- Bring any documentation important to your case to the consultation with you
- Arrive on time. In fact, it is a good idea to arrive 10 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time. And, if for some reason you are unable to keep the consultation time, phone to cancel the appointment as soon as possible. Your time is valuable, as is the time of the attorney.
- Take advantage of as many consultations as needed until you’ve found an attorney that provides you with the peace of mind and assurance needed for your case.
- Take a notepad to the consultation and take notes! You cannot possibly remember everything that the lawyer says but it is critical for you to know these details later down the line!
- Prepare a list of questions that you have for the attorney before you arrive. Although you might think that you will remember all, there is a good chance that you will not.